Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Death of Ivan Ilych by Tolstoy

























Family Happiness

"When we talked our voices resounded and seemed to hang in the still air over us, as though we were the only creatures in the midst of the whole world, and were alone together under that blue dome, in which the mild sunshine played flashing and quivering."

"And he would acknowledge himself, later, that everything in the world in which I had no share seemed to him so absurd that he could not understand how one could be interested in it. It was just the same with me. I used to read, and to interest myself with music, with his mother, and with the village school: but it was all simply because each of these pursuits was associated with him and won his approbation. But as soon as there was no idea of him associated with my pursuit, my hands dropped at my side, and it seemed to me quite amusing to thing there was anything in the world beside him."


I like how the entire world apart from them is so ridiculous and absurd...as if they had another world to themselves and are watching the people going about their day- leading their meaningless lives while they- they are living.

"Each stage has its love...and still I love you, but with a different love."


The different stages of love is the main point of this story- that love changes and is constantly reshaped throughout our lives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A young lady and an old man are married, experiencing passionate love,and in the end that love faded, but remained a different- more mature kind of love.