Friday, February 5, 2010

The Adolescent by Dostoevsky


























"Silence is always beautiful, and a silent person is always more beautiful than the one who talks."

The magic of contrast!

"In my opinion, man is created with a physical inability to love his neighbor. There's some mistake in words here, from the very beginning, and 'love for mankind' should be understood as just for mankind which you yourself have created in your soul (in other words, you've created your own self and the love for yourself) and which therefore will never exist in reality."

Haha! So there is no hope for mankind! If love cannot safe us, what can? Our love for yourselves and others is a mere illusion and it doesn't exist- it is more of a concept that something that could be practiced. Interesting thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book was my first Russian classic! And what an introduction into the field! It changed my life, and my view on literature in general. It revealed to me that stories have so many layers that are unseen by us...but work out together in the end to produce a marvelous effect. Just like this novel. This one is not his best book, but glad I picked it up one day in the library, not knowing that I would be blown away- and not be the same ever again.