Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cashback- concept of time

Another blog chase has led me to this unexpected movie. I read the Only Word's to Play With blog, and I was trying to find the Kubrick and Gogol comparison. I still have no idea what the comparison is. Searching on imdb.com, I looked up Kubrick, and the search came up with Cashback. So, what the hell, I Youtubed, and there it was. Extremely interesting movie, and it actually connects to a couple of the books I've read. White Nights by Dostoevsky comes to mind. Apparently, in Japan, it's appropriately called "Frozen Time". The whole world except me apparently already knew that Oliver Wood is this very attractive/talented actor? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HIM...but yes he is rather dashing. Some quotes from the movie:



"I wanted to freeze time. I wanted to savor that moment, to live in that moment for a week. But I couldn't stop it, only slow it. And before I knew it, she was gone."

"Within this frozen world I'm able to walk freely and unnoticed. Nobody would even know that time has stopped. And when it started back up again, the invisible join would be seamless except for a slight shudder. Not unlike the feeling of somebody walking over your grave. "

"Once upon a time, I wanted to know what love was. Love is there if you want it to be. You just have to see that its wrapped in beauty and hidden away in between the seconds of your life. If you don't stop for a minute, you might miss it."
--

This movie was quite a treat, since he reminded me of the nameless character in White Nights. Especially the frozen in time moment. The most memorable quote from that story was the very end, saying that he could live on a moment for a whole lifetime. Freezing time, of course not literally, can make one live in that moment. Until that moment dies to make room a new one. But some people, such as the nameless character, don't ever let go of that moment, and try to cling to it as much as possible- damaging their reality through the process. So, there is a balance between the two. When one deals with time, it is easy to get lost in it, and lose all sense of reality. Bill started hallucinating and staring at objects deep in thought for long periods of time. The nameless character talks about the houses he goes to see everyday, and how he has different connections with perfect strangers off the street. All conversations with Nastenka seem like a dream, nights blurred by mists.
What Bill refers to though in the last quote, I believe, is the fact that we need to slow time down and actually THINK about each second of our lives. If time is just something to be breathed through, and ticking away, then our existence is worthless. We might as well be a plant...We have the privilege of recognizing beauty and therefore we need to step back in awe.
It also reminded me of American Beauty. Especially of the "electricity in the air".