Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Virgin Soil by Turgenev

"He thought of nothing; he gave himself wholly up to the peculiar feeling which Spring-time brings, and which in the heart of youth or age is mingled with a sort of melancholy- the agitated melancholy of longing expectancy in the youth; the quiet melancholy of regret in the aged."

Another beautiful description of the melancholy found in nature.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story shows how people live up to their destinies in the end. how some, like the main character, was stuck between two extremes- and he couldn't get out- he doubted everything. The couple belonged together because of a cause in the end...those were the heroes, the people who know for sure what they need to do to serve, and have no doubts whatsoever. Yet, I sympathize with the main character, because I feel more like him. I see the do-gooders (not in a catholic/religious sense) and I see that I will never be like them. I doubt and look at life suspiciously. I do not have the desire to do good. He turned out to be a romantic idealist- he wanted to live with a concept- and that was enough. Yes, I do sympathize. Turgenev too quotes some poetry, "Love the idea, and not me." as something of the sort. Which I partly believe in, the embodiment of that idea. The story was mainly about making a connection with the peasants- bridging the gap.

--
Pub by Henry Hold & Company Publishers