Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sand or Woolf?

And as I am currently reading Mrs. Dalloway-since in a sudden moment of inspiration I re-watched The Hours and wanted to watch that movie supposedly where Nicole Kidman plays Virginia. I initially didn't post this just so I can talk about the movie (I doubt that I'm a very good film-critic) but really from my "instinct" about Virginia Woolf, Nicole plays her way too cold and crazy. Virginia seems to strike me more "cheery" in her style. She has such a tremendous elegance and class in her writing, that is coupled with sarcasm and a slight sense of humour. It's actually quite enjoyable. Most of the world out there (eh, what does the world know?) seems to think she was some sort of strange maniac. But I find her quite good-natured and sane. She has marvelous observations about the characters she describes, that is so down-to-earth. I mean, the way she weaves the past, and the future at the same time as the present is really something I've never seen before in writing. She seems to play with time. And she does it with such ease! I don't know, she would seem like such an interesting person to chat with over a glass of wine...
Now, George Sand I've admired for a very long time- since I've read her first novel Marianne. She seems to have such strength in her writing, and the way she lived her life. I mean, come on, even Turgenev went to visit her. Just imagine, all the wonderful male contemporaries of her day coming especially to pay her a visit! That must've been such an honor, and just shows how respected she was. Maybe I was influenced by the portrait of her in male clothing, but she strikes me as a very charming, feminine woman with a slight masculine edge. Masculine- as in this wish to make oneself known in a form of a revolution; and yes, even a literary one. She has marvelous concepts, and has made me be less sexist of female authors. (I am female by the way, so I think I have the right). Anyways, not to get off topic- my question is: Who would I rather meet, George Sand or Virginia Woolf? And after reading George Sand, I really wanted to be like her- a woman that isn't really distracted by males, but succeeds to be almost one of them (almost, I say, because she undeniably possesses this female charm in her writing, that gives her novels such an interesting perspective), which of course the male authors lack. Now, Virginia Woolf also has this wonderful sense of knowing people and their desires. But, in my opinion, she has something more- she seems to have this playful attitude and yet the same time being very serious. It's as if she is playing with words and concepts, but in the end everything unites forming something very profound. Her personality is revealed through her humor and sarcasm, which is something very enjoyable.
So-I pick Virginia Woolf. Not only does she keep her femininity, she also invites one to have a casual chat with her- no matter how many hundreds of years in between.

Oh, and let's just go a bit farther with this impossible wish- what would I say to this
incredible woman?

Well, I would ask her why she was so unhappy, and why she couldn't let go of her mind? Because it seems to me that was her problem, (from what I've heard of her)- she was too much in her mind, and therefore, very lonely. Like in her Night and Day. Whether she believes in God- because that would tell me a lot, and if she would pick one thing she wanted most in life what would that be?

To Virginia Woolf, cheers!

So chic with her fur coat