Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

My very good friend suggested this book to me while in Russia- having never heard of Kurt Vonnegut. They pronounce it as Vohn-e-gut. I had no idea that he is such a famous American writer.

"Some of the crazymaking games going on today are love and hate, liberalism and conservatism, automobiles and credit cards, golf, and girls' basketball." 

"Whenever I swim in an ocean, I feel as though I am swimming in chicken soup." 

"He was simply noticing, and surely not condemning, the fact that religion could also be comforting to those in economic or social distress." 

"Don't spoil the party, but here's the truth: We have squandered our planet's resources, including air and water, as though there were no tomorrow, so now there isn't going to be one." 

"What you can become is the miracle you were born to be through the work you do."

"How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different."

"[...] but the priceless gift that African Americans gave the whole world when they were still in slavery was a gift so great that it is now almost the only reason many foreigners still like us at least a little bit."  

"I know of very few people who are dreaming of a world for their grandchildren." 

"What you can become is the miracle you were born to be through the work that you do." 

"What has allowed so many PPs [psychopathic personalities] to rise so high in corportations, and now in government, is that they are so decisive." 

"By saints I meant people who behaved decently in a strikingly indecent society." 

"God would have to be an atheist, because the excrement has hit the air-conditioning big time, big time." 

"I'm startled that I became a writer. I don't think I can control my life or my writing." 

"And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." 




Saul Steinberg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Christ was an anarchist.


--
Pub by Seven Stories Press