Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme by Molière

I can see why Molière is so appreciated. This play was extremely entertaining. In reading the introduction of this book "Great farces", one starts to wonder what makes a good farce. "For true farces must have serious purpose." Is it really just humor or is there something behind it all? This play automatically answers that question. Molière is hilarious but at the same time criticizes society so strategically. Who ever said good humor cannot be extremely intelligent, and even get to the point where it becomes serious? That is the beauty behind this play. Because at the same time as we laugh at these comical characters one realizes that there ARE people STILL like that. In every stage of society. People that try to become something they never were. One cannot simply mimic good breeding. Good breeding is learned. Take fashion for example. Since the middle ages, fashion is used as a way of representing status. When the higher class came up with a new "trend", suddenly everyone was trying to mimic it. Everyone, including, and especially, the lower classes. One can see the corset worn by the higher classes, where it stifled and deformed bodies, to the lower ones where it was a slight version of that but at the same time giving flexibility for working in the fields. Isn't that fascinating? They brought down something from the higher classes into the lower ones...evolving, or even devolving it, to fit their needs. No matter what stage, one can pick up on the motive. The motive being the hope of reaching something they can never have. They tried to mimic good breeding in their own way, always hoping that they could someday be the real thing.

That is more of an "apparent" hope. But what can one say of the mentality? Sure, one always wants to look nice, no matter how poor one is. This can be seen in the way everyone else was in on the joke. and in the end profited from it. one doesn't need to set these people straight because more fun will come out of it. showing that there is no limit it is all about the idea of something. for instance if i tell you that a tea-kettle is fashionable to be worn on the head and that everyone is doing it. well then that puts you in a very interesting position. you have two choices. one would be to do what normal people do and condemn me as an imbecile. And declare that even if people do wear it they are stupid for doing so. A simple person would not hesitate to laugh into my face. The other choice would be to take me seriously. And that inside of you would ever believe such a lie? Your insecurities will. The insecurity that you aren't good enough for society. As in, "Oh really? Oh well that sounds odd... (here is the point where it separates) no matter, if everyone is doing it, well they know better than I. I need to conform. Come to think of it, wearing a teakettle wouldn't be at all bad. It actually strikes me as extremely fashionable, even genius." The power of rationality!!

I love the energy and fast-pace of this piece- a true farce.

Goodness, so apparently someone went and put kettles in random pictures? I don't know why I had to go and google it... anyways! They look rather fashionable don't they! I find the rust especially appealing.
Link



And of course, as this is the first time that I have ever read Molière, I have to talk about the movie. I have never really heard of Molière in my daily life. Well...that is not surprising, since I am living in an extremely uncultured society. But as it is, I am not drawn to plays as much as I am to prose, and even the french authors I have read- they are the most "common" classics. Therefore, I came to read this book with a sort of "idea" in mind, about who Molière really was. And this farce so rightfully stands up for that. In the movie, everything was so fast-paced, and yet extremely sophisticated. The way all the facial features were so dramatic, and everything seemed to be so light and unimportant. While true daily emotions and thoughts were being exchanged. Yes, I know this is extremely vague...but from what I remember... I know that I was left with such an energy. The character portrayed such life and humor. Just as this play does.